Monday, 21 October 2013

Watermelon and Your Libido



A sweet libido-booster, although it’s 92 percent water, that remaining 8 percent of the content of the fruit is concentrated with vital nutrients for sexual health. Beneficial ingredients in watermelon and other fruits and vegetables are known as phytonutrients, naturally occurring compounds that are bioactive, or able to react with the human body to trigger healthy reactions, Patil said.
Watermelon has ingredients that deliver Viagra-like effects to the human body’s blood vessels and has the capability of increasing libido, it contains a phytonutrient called Citrulline, "We have known that watermelon has citrulline," says Bhimu Patil, PHD, director of the Fruit and Vegetable Improvement Center at Texas A&M University, College Station, this the body converts to arginine, an amino acid that boosts nitric oxide levels in the body, which relax blood vessels in the same way a medicine like Viagra does.
picture source-http://news.nationalgeographic.com


Some experts have called watermelon the new Viagra. Watermelon is low in calories and provides potassium and the phytonutrients lycopene and beta-carotene, in addition to the citrulline. “The citrulline-arginine relationship helps heart health, the immune system and may prove to be very helpful for those who suffer from obesity and type 2 diabetes,” said Patil. “Arginine boosts nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels, the same basic effect that Viagra has, to treat erectile dysfunction and maybe even prevent it.”
While there are many psychological and physiological problems that can cause impotence, extra nitric oxide could help those who need increased blood flow, which would also help treat angina, high blood pressure and other cardiovascular problems.
“Watermelon may not be as organ specific as Viagra,” Patil said, “but it’s a great way to relax blood vessels without any drug side-effects.”

Reference: http://www.webmd.com/, http://positivemed.com/, http://www.sciencedaily.com/