Sunday, 18 January 2015
Let's face it, keeping your relationship strong and dynamic is a huge challenge.
The biggest problem most couples face in the ever fast moving world is simply not creating time to be creative in their relationship and spend time every week finding new ways to surprise and be romantic to their partners.
After going to work, taking the kids to and from school, sports and other activities, cooking, cleaning and other daily tasks, there seems like little time to BREATHE!… let alone be romantic with your partner, this was the complain of a female colleague.
And that's where my collection comes in…
First of all: Realize that relationships take work, lots of it. Here are things you need to start doing right away to have the relationship of your dreams.
1. Deeply understand your partner
With the present economic challenge that most couples face, it has become a bit difficult for couples to find time for each other. This was the challenge I personally face mid last year, I have so much going on in my new assignment in my corporate world and also setting up businesses in some Africa countries, that it became so difficult to spend time with my beautiful wife.
But one of the things that helped us swim out of this turbulent part was the ability of myself and Helen to understand our vision as married couple- and to always talk about everything and anything.
It is important to always open up the line of communication; this helps couples to understand their partner line of thought and fantasy. Never be afraid to ask your partner questions that troubles your mind, but it must be done with wisdom- understanding the best communication time.
2. Show your love in a UNIQUE way often
When was the last time you said "I love you?" Not just the words… but when did you really put some time and energy into it? Never underestimate how much a thoughtful "I love you" can turn around a relationship. Medical doctors and Psychologists have come to understand that words spoken with care and deep affection have a healing effect. So learn to say sweet and affectionate words to your spouse.
These I am committed to Do and What about you? Simple ideas:
1. Send them a unique gift at work. Get a piece of paper and some crayons. Draw a bright childlike picture with a smiley sun and two stick figures holding hands. Add labels with your two names pointing to the stick figures. Write ‘I Love You’ inside a heart. Next get a large formal envelope. Place your drawing inside and type up a formal address label of your partner's workplace, such as: “For the immediate and urgent attention of: Helen Obi 1431 Heritage Road, Victoria Island, Lagos.” Mail it to your partner so they receive it in the middle of a busy day.
2. Bring back childhood memories. Contact your partner's family and ask if there was anything she always wanted when she was a little girl. For example if she always wanted a porcelain doll, buy one for her birthday. She will not only appreciate the gift, but also the fact that you were thoughtful enough to find out what she always wanted. You can do this for your man too.
3. Create unique bedroom activities: I just recently started learning some massage tips, to be a fantastic spouse I have to be creative and bring in new sparks in my bedroom. So I have decided to be her masseur. All you need do is to buy a small, decorated cardboard box, a sheet of colored tissue paper, some massage oil and a blank card. Line the box with the tissue paper. Place the massage oil in the box and write the following message on the card: I know a great masseur. For an appointment call: (Your Phone Number)
4. Unique flower idea. Leave a long-stem rose where your partner will find it, with a note on it saying: "Thank you for coming into my life." Or “Without you my world is empty” etc.
3. Go on dates-Never stop this act
Is dating only for new relationships? NO!
While being with someone for a long time makes it easy to slip into a stable and comfortable routine, the problem is you often lose that spark that made your relationship so special in the first place.
Never stop dating! Have a water fight, stare at the clouds on a grassy hill, organize a backyard picnic or go to a cinema. Dedicate time each week or month to doing fun things with your partner.
4. Spark and fuel intimacy
Probably the most profound way to rekindle the romance in your marriage is to spice up your lovemaking.
Surprise your partner with a little gift after you make love, try a new position, learn to give your partner a sensual massage before or after, or just spend some time staring into each other’s eyes and caressing their bare skin before making love. Many people underestimate the